Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Water Notes

Waterfallby Scotland Willis

Water falls from the sky in a rhythmic way sometimes and changes our outlook on the day.  In Antigua, Guatemala, I use to dance on the roof while the warm heavy rains of the monsoon would pelt my body and my imagination would drift into a space that is rich with energy and wholesomeness.

Such an experience can,  by and large, depend on what part of the world we live in.  In California an 1/8 of an inch of rain can ruin a grape crop for raisins, the slightest difference can wipe out an entire years worth of work; on the other hand, in Africa more than 230 million people will suffer from water scarcity this year.  And in Miami, Florida, they probably have what some would describe as the perfect weather much of the time.  We experience water and access to it, differently.

 From whichever our challenge or pleasure may be derived, it is likely that those who have an abundance of water don't truly appreciate intricate details such as the cycle of water and what it goes through to make it's way to our faucets.

A friend of my came to the U.S. from India for academic purposes.  On one of our tours of the city, he was amazed at the water in the Charles River. "Is that fresh water?" "Yes" I responded.  "And is it always there; is it always available at that level?" he asked.  Again I replied, "yes it is".  He continued, "And where will it all go?".  "It empties into the Atlantic Ocean" I said.  "And you just let it go there, all of that water?"  "Well-- yes" I replied.  "This is amazing!"

Our conversation carried on much longer as the tour continued.  But the proufoundness of Aakesh's observations and curiousity etched itself into my mind.  As a conservationist, I recognize the important role water plays in our society, I hold very strong views about the matter.  From rain barrels to controlling the flow rate on my sink-- even turning off the water for each dish I rince.  Nonetheless, I've developed an appreciation for what water means to Aakesh and where he is from in Telengana region of Andhra Pradesh in India, one of their water starved regions.

I Aakesh recently returned for another visit; upon greeting him at the airport, his first question was, "Is all that water still in the Charles River?"  "Yes my friend, it is still there".

I don't believe I take what is available for granted, however I also know that when I turn my faucet on, water will flow.   My appreciation and commitment to helping others understand the precious value of that has grown out of our conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment