Sunday, March 10, 2013

Ready for Something Old, That's New

Words from a friend, memories of our past; a change that is familiar.  This is where this short story begins- at the end.

Yesterday I tracked down an old friend.  Curious as to whether the effort to do so even made sense, while going through the hoops of making phone call after phone call, through the city's resources.  Are my expectations too high; are we even in the same place-- in terms of our thinking.

No this isn't about Love, but I have a strong belief that good friendships form when the elements in the Universe are aligned, and the path of two individuals or more cross.  Something amazing happens; it could be that each person just needed to hang out and have a beer; it could be that each person was growing past where they were and evolving into someone/ something new; it could be that it was just the right place and the right time to connect.

These types of events have occurred at different times in my, Guatemala once when I encountered a mixture of international Spanish studying students from Germany, USA, Sweeden and Switzerland all converged in a small town Antigua among the hills in Central America.  One of the best chance encounter experiences of my life.  Interestingly enough, I always associated these encounters with meeting new people, never friends from the past.

We often make the mistake that these events only happen when we fall in Love or get romantic; I am here to tell you some of the most amazing friends I have ever met had nothing to do with romance, but more the right place at the right time.  These are friends for life; these relationships bare the gift of being able to pick up where they left off.

That is where my story picks up.  After calling several city departments, fire stations, and waiting for an emergency to complete it's cycle, etc. I caught up with my friend.  The best thing I could have expected that day was his reaction to my call.

His words were simple "I'm ready for something old, that's new".  This was his response after inquiring about his well being, his family and life in general.  I was glad to hear that he was doing well and even more glad that an old friend, despite the decades that had passed, that the friendship and memories we had as children was strong enough to withstand the test of time.  If nothing else occurred and we never met again, those few words held a lifetime of meaning.  That statement said it all.  There is no substitute for the strength of friendship that has stood the test of time.

If you have this friend, go out and find them.  It will be worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment