Friday, March 22, 2013

New York, Personal Development, Journeys and Paths

New York City, just having recovered from an unexpected amount of snowfall the night before, I am sitting in my hotel room after benefiting from doing one of my favorite things.  Being caught off readiness for a few brief unexpected moments, with an individual.  As a member of my client group, she wanted to talk about my philosophy around happiness as it relates to personal development.

These conversations tend to be heart-felt and meaningful.  Because it takes me to a space I truly enjoy being in, I am always glad to fit it into my schedule-- even unexpectedly.  Events such as this also help me reinforce what I believe deeply; that once you understand happiness, you will never allow yourself to go back to any other permanent space.  Maintaining a state of happiness is or understanding how to achieve it can be technical in that there can often provide steps to get closer to where one might want to be (you will have to where that is for yourself in many cases).

The conversation began with asking how I got to be where I am.  A very provocative questions, much more meaningful than a simple what do you do.  I understood instantly what she meant; it had nothing to do with me being great or impressive, but everything to do with seeking a pathway to arrive at a place of peace, fulfillment, continuation of your journey that has meaning and is not just an activity based obligation.

There are some simple rules to follow the first of which is to be humble.  I consider it a great honor to be asked question such as this because it means that I am on the right path.  To be worthy to be asked a question about something is a great responsibility; it means second, that you have a responsibility to be honest and truthful, as well as liberal about what you are about to... third) share (the true gift of sharing is not to expect anything in return, similar to the gift of giving).  My genuine hope is that my words help others to grow, not because of who one might be or their status, but because of what exists that is able to be seen if only looked upon the right way.  This revelation comes because of the way something is said or presented not to the credit of who is saying it.  The balance of giving and receiving can be found here, and explains why one must give liberally; you will at some point also receive equally.  Why? Because the doors of opportunity open and we become more understanding of those doors as portals to where we should be directing our energies for our next movement, as we give and share. These are Windows (for me), many of which I have.

My Windows allow me to explore how to improve my capacities in the human experience; the capacity to listen, Love, understand, be more effective, advance my goals, and get closer to being the person that I am in pursuit of.  One example is sailing.  Sailing moves my soul in a very personal way, whether sailing with someone or alone it ups my level of connection with myself, the environment, even my work objectives; it provides me with the space to find out where I am with something, removes any clutter and repairs areas within I didn't know needed my attention.  Each person has these Windows, but they are not always understood.

I have chosen Windows because they metaphorically and literally are very important in my life.  I need to see things clearly.  In my work I need to be able to see clearly what my clients need to align and clear certain systems.  With my personal activities I may need to see clearly why I am doing something and with what purpose.  I can better arrive a answers that make sense and add continuity to my actions, improving my results overall.

...How did I arrive in the space I am now?  Many years of self examination, empirical data, technical understandings, and a continual search to be driven by where I am not yet.  I suppose it is an obsession to be right with all things (possible or not, from a practical perspective), but man is not always practical.   My destination is ahead of me and my hope is to catch up to it one day.  In the process, I will continue to work on myself, offer what I learn as a tool for others only if they would like to receive it; and leave the space I occupy better then when my person occupied it.

No comments:

Post a Comment