Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Day in Boston the BLC

Auntie and Mom
by Scotland Willis
(click on photos to enlarge)


Boston is an amazing city.  I tell all my guests and friends  it is the Big Little City, with a population just over 600,000 people.  What Boston lacks in population, it recovers in activity and vibrance.  Today was one of those days.  A look at some photos will tell the story, in less than two hours, I made a choice encounter, explored the wild, enjoyed great music, and observed the wake of an unfortunate fire.
Puddingstone Place
That's just it, there is always something happening here especially when the weather breaks.  People come out of the wood-works like you would not believe; like ants emerging to explore the newness of the landscape, the energy, the voices and sounds of The City are all remarkable.  Boston is full of entertainment, which you'll find in just about every part of the city if you choose to explore.  And that is the key; when you do Boston, you have to open yourself up to explore-- everything.

Today was one of those days.  After an early rise, in anticipation of the great weather Boston was going to have, I began my day with a short workout; listing the things I needed to get done, a quick visit to my moms to see my visiting aunt from Florida, clean house (Puddingstone Place) and I am out-a-here!  And before I could get out the door, a cardinal, posing for me- possibly signaling that this was going to be a brilliant day.
Jackson Station T stop

A short walk to public transportation and my journey begins; the cool, but warming air feels great!  As usual I pack my camera in anticipation of capturing something unusual-- that is exactly what happened.  My arrival at the Orange Line T(Boston's underground subway), and I encountered my second subject for the day, a bird of prey.  Swooping  over my head, it perched itself upon a ledge in the train station, allowing me to capture its stature.  Wow, (thrilled that I brought my camera with me)!  I should have known it was going to be this kind of day.  If this was the only thing I captured it was well worth it.

Mr. C' Jackson Station T platform
A walk down the stairs to the platform and I encounter a young aspiring engineer who also plays the guitar.  I decide to engage in a conversation only to learn that he is attending the same school for under graduate work as my graduate school.  It was an honor to meet young Mr. C'.  We exchanged emails and hopefully will stay in touch.

Berklee Music Students Boylston St.
I disembark at my stop "Back Bay!" the conductor announces, and begin to absorb the life of The City.  You can feel the energy rising.  A simple turn right, and a left two blocks later leads me to the clamor of locals and visitors soaking up the sun and enjoying the outdoors
 on Copley Plaza; this leaves me with high anticipation of what is still to come as Summer is just around the corner.  This time last year we were still flirting with bitterly cold temperatures.

Up a few more blocks to the iPhone store and off again to connect with the city.  It is definitely a walking day.  Half a block up I begin to hear the sound of The City come to life.  It looks like Berklee music students have gotten together to have an outdoor jam session.  Beneficiaries? all onlookers.

Boylston & Mass Ave
Too interesting a day to take underground transportation the whole way so I start to walk to Fenway.  Fire! wow.

So that is a typical day in Boston, perhaps not so typical; but if you take time and put effort into making the best out of Boston, you will not be disappointed.  There is almost unavoidably plenty to do and see in Boston.  Whatever you do, don't just sit around and do nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment