Thursday, May 6, 2010

Young People Rising

Recently I had a brief conversation with a young man and woman in a festive setting. Loud urban hip hop music was playing in the background; while clusters of people in their mid to late twenties, occupied a portion of the yard space where I grew up celebrating similar festive events. From birthday parties to cookouts, this place has always been a gathering space where good friends and family come together to enjoy each others company- and learn from one another.

As things were settling down around 11:00on a Thursday night, I made a brief announcement to the women among the some thirty odd people, about a Young Black Women's Society event on Saturday- recommending that they attend. One young man exclaimed, "Can I go?" I replied, absolutely you can go, and you should go, you might learn something about how to truly treat a woman right. While my response was stated somewhat jokingly, there is a little truth in jest. His lady friend chided him implying that he just might learn something, as well. He conceded in his remarks acknowledging what was likely to be partial reality relative to the conversation.

Nearly all of the young men and women in attendance, at this family and friends style cookout, were career oriented or college graduates. One young woman mentioned that she saw the posting on Facebook, this seemed to be the push she needed to attend, realized only after a brief conversation. I further encouraged her to reconsider mentoring despite her career commitment as well.

It is refreshing to know that some settings never lose their charm. Having a save place where conversations can still happen, where I can ensue counter measures to cultural norms that result in harmful barriers or stereotypes. In fact, the very question this second young lady had for me prior to my appeal to her was, "do you think I am a working professional?" I stated that I had no reason to believe she was not. She continued to say "Because some people believe I could not be(a working professional) just because of the setting;" I told her is not my job to judge. Yet another struggle for budding professionals, balancing work life with professional life.

I am always glad to see young women in any culture rise above the odds and statistics. Since 1 in 4 women have experienced sexual assault; and the numbers in high school settings are even more piercing. Youth violence and bullying are devastating cultures, families, and genders across the nation. Each of us is responsible for making a concerted effort to transform the status quo. If I can encourage young women to both learn and teach on their life's journey, I feel I have done my work. This is part of my daily walk.

A neighbor walking by was a pleasant reminder that the diversity of Highland Park is the very reason why that charm exists; it is made up of males and females of all ethnicities and cultures. It is a part of the City where great things happen because of amenities that within, ranging from walkable streets to lush forestry; from involved residents to friendly neighbors. It makes having otherwise challenging conversations easy for the teacher and the pupil.

No comments:

Post a Comment