Friday, May 28, 2010

Cycling on Purpose

by Scotland Willis SMW_6111


Sustainability does not always have to be an intense effort to persuade individuals to learn more about their carbon footprint, not drive gas-guzzlers, and buy carbon offsets. With a look at the pleasures of sustainability we just might convert a few more people.

In April 2009, tired of feeling the frustration that goes along with owning a car, I decided to get rid of my car and buy a bicycle. Since that time I have put in over 3,600 miles on my bike. I am an aggressive cyclist but try to be respectful of other vehicles and people around me. The population of cyclists is growing as consciousness of the environment, cycling campaigns, City initiatives, and fuel prices increase. Staying ahead of the curb is important but so is cycling awareness.

Great living

Living in the South End affords many amenities, including proximity to some of Boston’s best activities. Fortunately sustainability can be coupled with these amenities in a very practical way - cycling. With the Southwest Corridor, Charles River, and Greenway virtually at our doorstep, there is no excuse to not pedal to your heart’s content.

Breezing down Dartmouth towards the overpass is a simple route to the Charles River. It places you between the Harvard Bridge (often referred to as the Mass. Ave. Bridge) and the Esplanade. On great spring days, when the air is brisk, it is a perfect time for riding; as your raised metabolism increases your body temperature, the cool air keeps you comfortable. Despite the liberating feeling of cycling, the amenity of stopping whenever you want to enjoy the sites, and not having to worry about parking, safety is paramount above all else.

Experience teaches us

I have found that the skills from decades of motorcycle riding are proving to be very beneficial to being a cyclist. I like to keep the flow of riding as constant as possible; I prefer taking a longer route if it means I don’t have to disrupt my ride - this tends to lead me to quieter streets. Riding my motorcycle has taken me to places few other experiences have, topping out at 206 m.p.h., across the wide open roads of Colorado. What that forced me to do is to always be very alert of my surroundings, constantly looking at least three-quarters of a mile down the road to anticipate sudden changes in the landscape. I always pause and look twice in both directions while cycling; I look in drivers’ eyes, which helps me to gauge their intended action. Lastly if you look through the rear window of a car as you are riding in the bicycle lane, to see if anyone is in it, you might avoid getting "doored," a serious concern for cyclists. My number one rule is raise my alertness when I get comfortable, even if it is just to remind myself for a second that anything could happen. And while it may be obvious, not owning one is just poor judgment - get a helmet. Helmets are lightweight, can be stylish and they reduce your risk of serious injury.

Back on the pathway

Heading south down the Southwest Corridor, a 20- to 30-minute ride will place you at the Arnold Arboretum, near the Forest Hills T stop. Walk or cycle through the 265 acres of lush landscape of birds, plant life and ponds. It is a sanctuary in the middle of Boston, which I ride to once a week. Leaving the Arboretum you can head up the Jamaica Way path to the Riverway bringing you back into the depths of the City; it makes for a peaceful transition with light traffic sounds in the background. Hundred-year-old oaks, maples and other tree life insulate the ride as you pass walkers and families playing in the grass.

Mayor Menino’s Boston Bikes initiative is part of creating "a vibrant healthy city for all." This plan includes adding new bike lanes, increasing bicycle safety and awareness and addressing the concerns of experienced cyclists. A little research and you will never feel alone; there are multiple groups you can join, including meet-up groups and Bike Fridays and Hub on Wheels.

Boston is a great place to ride a bicycle (in many areas), more so than riding a motorcycle. Hilly roads, winding streets and riverside pathways make riding here a real gem; it is important, however, not to overlook the reality of riding in heavily condensed traffic. There is a rhythm to riding bicycles responsibly like that of motorcycles; to that end I am constantly seeing the value of one meeting the needs of the other. Bike season is here! Get out, have fun, save the planet ... and stay healthy and safe.

This content is copy right protected ©



No comments:

Post a Comment