Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Over Simplification

Today I had a task, seemed simple enough... WAIT!

It's rarely that simple.  Let's talk about the task first.  On the front of an off road vehicle or SUV as some call it, there is a bull grill or a grill guard.  This device is used to add to the physical appeal of the vehicle or if you live in the high country can be used to fend off large animals that cross the road in the high country area (obviously this could be low lying country areas as well).

There are four bolts and nuts that hold on that grill.  As you might imagine these bolts and nuts are not the typical nuts and bolts you would simply use around the house.  They are stainless steel, with heavy duty threads.  They are designed to hold a heavy load and maintain their strength under more than typical stress.

I was suppose to remove these nuts and bolts as a courtesy to someone close to me.  "...just borrow the neighbors tools..."  First mistake, letting someone who knows nothing about automotive tasks offer directions to a task that will require some time and effort.  Correction some time and a great amount of effort.  But in an attempt to satisfy her request and frustration with my rejection of the task, I took it on.

Now my better senses would have simply said, there is a shop that can do this quicker and easier than the amount of energy I would have to put in; that would have been the smart thing to do, but I did not do that.  Mistake!

So what is the real problem here.  The highest concern is that I would injure myself carrying out this task without the proper tools that would make this task easier.  All the other party is concerned with is carrying out the task that meets their satisfaction, while I am considering all the other factors including injuring myself for one simple reason... sorry two reasons: 1) I know much more about what I am doing 2) I am concerned with more than just the task.  You see often other people are not concerned with the risk simply because, if they are not experienced in the matter, they can psychologically distance themselves from the risk since the risk is not their own; or to phrase it better, they have nothing to lose, including serious injury.

There is yet another issue.  The quality of the work being done.  A comprehensive knowledge also means your results will be much output if you are seriously concerned with your input.  Or let's put it another way, your output is determined by your input.

So in the future, one of the best conversations you can have with someone is to tell them to inquire as to the level of involvement with a task.  If they better understand what is involved, they are more likely to reconsider what they are asking of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment