Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Grand Canyon Do Your Dreams

 Located at a Latitude: 36°15'N Longitude: 112°30'W; across of 4,926 km2 or (1,902 sq mi), resides one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World.  With its astounding depth in character, years and adventure, the Grand Canyon is an experience that will extract you from the cloak that shelters your spirit.  The real question on any journey you take is will you emerge as the same person you were when you began; is the reasoning for the journey a quest for transformation?

It is early February; a moderately packed blanket of snow speckles the forest at nearly 2133 meters (7000 ft) of elevation over the Grand Canyon's South Rim.  A mixture aromas from high desert-like forestry fills one's nasal cavities, the freshness of air somewhat unspoiled by the presence of mankind is omnipresent.

6:30 in the morning, and my eyes slowly opening from a body that has been passively alert since 2:00 a.m. which marked my arrival.  The thoughts of a solo adventure on my mind, into this time capsule, demand my attention.  It is a journey that is or should be on everyone's list to do before they die; not that death is the precursor to motivate anyone for this journey, but that the reality that life is not forever.  This being true, time is of the essence, relative to experiencing this extraordinary geological structure.

Back pack ready for my overnight in the valley of this natural treasure, adds roughly 20 kilo (45 lbs.) to my journey ready to accommodate my nourishment and insulation needs.  And the photographer in me would not allow my camera to be left behind.


Because it is mid-winter, the tourist population is light, making the journey to the bottom of the Canyon a low traffic trek-- no more than eight people did I see, on my descent.  Such conditions made the exploration all the more meaningful and  introspective.  Vast views from vertical and lateral perspectives provided the perfect landscape of analogies for how far and wide I would look within myself for questions and answers.


Switch-backs along the early part of the Kaibab trail were swift going, with the exception of 4-8 centimeters of ice for the first 500 meters of descent.  Mud quickly took over just below this elevation and made for a messy but more interesting hike.  It wasn't long before I began to explore the very questions that make hiking a most fulfilling experience, and result in a longing for more. Why?  There is a type of concupiscence with the natural environment when this begins to occur.  One journey simply isn't enough.


Brief encounters last long enough to increase your motivation to press on, or in some instances, step up your pace.  Whether it is to arrive at your destination sooner with a greater anticipation, to avoid the night fall, or push your physical and mental limits-- there is a shift.  These encounters, for all their similarities, also create mutual bonds among hikers.  I can only explain this as individuals on parallel journeys.  Some encounters last only a minute or two and turn into lasting friendships, others are simply passer byers-- a brief "hi", and acknowledgement of the journey you are both on in opposite directions, though sometimes the same direction.


The camp site was inviting after the joint pounding descent, the relief of the weight under my back pack was also a welcome change.  Surprisingly I took another 5 mile walk after setting up camp- just before the sun set.  Narrowing canyon wall in the valley of time, almost pull you in, resulting in a slight struggle to convince yourself to stop and preserve your energy for needs over wants.  I pass by the Phantom Ranch on a pleasant walk back to my Bridal Trail camp ground, the PR reminds me why I do not prefer to stay at sheltered location but desire something more rugged; I'm here because I am seeking a certain amount of lack of comfort not to be confused with discomfort.  The open air, sounds of the natural environment and wide open  sky, help me understand not only this space but my space.  Amazing night skies plastered with stars provides another explanation for this journey, to learn what we miss in the more modernized environment.


Temperatures dipped below freezing, yet another threshold I would have to adjust for; one I would overcome.  And so I learn more about myself.  Sunrise would be at 7:29 a.m. and though I planned on a 9 or 10 a.m. departure, my stirring soul would not accommodate such a request.  By 7 a.m. I was  back on the trail again, on my journey upward.
On these journeys I find that I don't always go in looking 4 answers, but that I often emerge with answers I did not know I was looking for.  I suppose it is the solitude which empties the space in my mind, the absence of the minutia in daily life; it is at times the prospect of encountering new friends; a discovery of new physical and mental level, a personal triumph etc.  It is always to at least to be in a place I have not yet known, within and without.  This journey is often undefined, yet always fulfilling.

For a complete slide show of the photos from this hike go to this flicker link.

3 comments:

  1. wow, love the blog. I just moved to Boston and started a blog...check it out when you get a free second. www.demarined.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Richard!

    Thanks for your kindness, I appreciate your words.

    Welcome to Boston. Good for you following your dreams. This is a philosophy I live by and constantly work to be better at doing. It is a challenge but every day I find another way to be happy. Good fortune to you because I don't believe in luck. Perhaps our paths will cross at some point.

    Be well,
    Scotland

    ReplyDelete