Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Good Life



What does it mean to have a good life?  Do you define a good life as financial success; a life that is free of major conflict or struggles; maybe a life where you get to live out your dream-like lifestyle; and perhaps a good life is determined for you by your charitable deeds.  Whatever your definition(s) may be, it is certainly more complex now than any time in history. But why?

As society continues to progress, it has a tendency to accelerate the pace of activities; the internet, global communication (including social networks), productivity requirements, intellectual competitiveness, physical and health improvements; all are contributing factors to social dynamics that might influence what a good life is composed of.

But here is another perspective, perhaps a good life begins very early.  Perhaps a good life is based on our ability to learn and do what is right.  As we age we are influenced by our parents, people closest to us; then peers, in school, our neighborhood; teenage years expose us to larger social groups, work environments and extra curricular activities.   It is how we receive and process information in these groups that informs our behavior- perhaps not solely (as we are hard wired differently), but certainly in a way that can lead to a good life.

As I look back and reflect on my own upbringing, I think about the people who I have a strong appreciation for, as I attempt to emulate their positive attributes.  My reflections also force me to think about misdeeds, cruel or unkind things I might have said or done.  At times it allowed me to fit in to certain group, as the group dynamics took their toll on the victim of our jokes or remarks.  Seemingly harmless, but the long term effects are what concern me most.  I realize this now as I continue to mature (hopefully until the day I die) - I call that learning.  And periodically when we learn more about ourselves, we get the opportunity to go back in time and make amends with such misdeeds from our past.  It is my belief that this makes us better people.  It is a different way to build character through struggle- our internal struggle.  It is not about having regret, but about the affect of not completing our life's circle; when you do something that is not in harmony with the circle, a piece gets removed until you figure out how to get it back so you can be complete.

Liberating myself from past behaviors grants me more freedom to enjoy what I consider to be a good life; I am a sailor, cyclist, runner, hiker, reader, writer and friend.  For me, these are the components that make up a good life now.  Caring about people, how my actions affect their life, and how my actions affect the planet is yet another aspect of a good life.

I have a certain peace about me, like never before- I call it happiness.  So here is my pitch, be happy-- every day of your life, strive for it.  Teach people around you about being happy and what you do to maintain happiness.  I made a list a long time ago that I still use and share.  Make a list of 10 things that make you happy, promise yourself you will do and acknowledge one each day.  Having done at least one of those things; I believe you will spend the rest of your life being happy.  This is a good life, this is my theme song- Good Life enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment