Saturday, August 20, 2011

Blazing Desert

Temperatures in Phoenix, Arizona the other day set another record, reaching 116 degrees.  Sweltering heat keeps most residents inside, visitors may venture out briefly, only to retreat to a better climate controlled environment.

For the few people who do get out; it is with a sense of purpose.  During my visit to Phoenix recently, I reconnected with a friend who is extremely athletic, she is well traveled, has climbed numerous mountains including the Rockies, hiking the White Mountains in the Northeast, and even some of the world highest mountains.  Her energetic spirit motivated me to step up my game.

Thursday morning I got up to hike one of the local mountains, the sweltering heat I spoke of earlier, was upon me, and it was only 7:15 a.m.  Moving at a pretty good clip, I topped the small mountain in about 24 minutes.  From here you can see most of Phoenix, Tempe, Glendale, parts of Mesa and upward beyond northern Phoenix.  Visibility about 50 miles.  I had just arrived the night before around 10:15 p.m. and did not sleep well that night; I also did not eat that morning before I left for the hike but I did not want to wait too long and allow the heat to intensify (good think too- on this record day).  I don't think about much as I make my ascent on Squaw Peak, there are multiple areas to be mindful of due to the dryness.  The dirt in some areas can seem like ice.  Though I brought water with me, the relief was minimal.  Looking outward beyond multiple horizons, I do my best not to pause, (to restart is just too draining)  but merely slow my pace, and make a momentary observation.

Nearing my destination, I capture the reason why I put myself through this draining exercise.  Those of us who partake in such events, against reasonable odds, and down right grueling conditions, are part of a unique assembly of individuals; not all are at the same level, but are driven by the end game.  Sometimes the end game is satisfaction of the achievement, other times it is being able to remove ourselves from the mainstream population that we feel does not reflect the soul of who we are; some of us are running away or towards something we have not yet identified; and at times we just need to escape.

As I continue to produce photos for a photo installation (art show), I am working towards, I find that today I was making my journey to to enjoy; enjoy all of the things I mentioned above, to let go and embrace what I might experience in the end, or perhaps somewhere in the middle.  By the end, I got exactly what I needed, something undefined, without boarders and restrictions-- a continued sense of inner peace.

As I continue to learn new things about Arizona, more importantly, experience new friendship, my perspective continues to evolve.  I see something more beautiful here, each time I arrive.  Nothing can disrupt the balance I am achieving at this time; it is a good space to be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment