Thursday, March 3, 2011

Climate change: ask yourself, what am I doing

by Scotland Willis

A path to climate consciousness can be a long one.  Some don't necessarily know where to begin, others may believe  they are doing enough.  Still some people may just believe that they have too much baggage they are carrying around to add anything else to their "to do" list is just too much.

To be certain, getting to where I am today was not an overnight decision or process.  Each step along the way I was certain others would see it as a major psychological challenge.  But the further I got into this path of sustainability the more I wanted it.  Once you are committed to climate change issues, two things are very difficult 1) understanding why others don't buy into it; even if you don't believe in the seriousness of climate change, you could say at a fundamental level that polluting is worse than not polluting- right?  Sure!  2) and turning back- I have no interest in doing so.  So where do we go from here?

My goal is to get more people to understand what they can become more climate conscious; understand climate change in a way that they can apply it to their own lives; and to lead by example.  So I would like to share a few things about my own habits over the last few years.  For simplicity purposes I will number them and you can email me if you would like a more in depth response.  It is not about bragging rights, rather it is to present some practical steps towards achieving your own personal climate goals.

1) I stopped driving ( I sold my car and motor cycle in less than a 6 month period)
2) I hang dry my close in the warm and cold months.  The winter is very dry so hanging your clothes inside works great!  I have not used my dryer in more than 2 years.  Machine drying your clothes removes more of the fiber that your clothes are made of or burns the fabric a little each time.
3) I take public transportation
4) I cycle more often than I take public transportation (whenever possible)
5) I compost; using my nitrogen and carbon rich products to contribute to my soil for gardening each season
6) I recycle: 90-95%  of the products we send to the dump / land fill, can be recycled
7) I keep my hot water heater on low most of the time.  If it were my choice, I would recommend that a temperature control for the hot water heater was placed in an accessible place to have more control over when it was on or off
8) I collect the water from my shower in a container while the water is getting warmer so I don't waste the water, I can use it on my house plants
9)  I do the same thing when I wash dishes
10) When I am at Board meetings, I try to use my computer rather than printing up documents for the meeting.
11) I do not use additional heat at night because I have sufficient blankets
12) I purchase jeans from a second-hand store, you cannot tell that they are not brand new.  It requires about 1500 gallons or 6819 liters to make a 1.5 pounds (.68 kg) of cotton.

This is really just the beginning of what you and I can do.  Individuals make the difference.  By demonstrating what we are willing to do we also influence what business and governments do.

Consume less and reuse more; the philosophy is pretty simple.  Figure out how to use what you already have better.  In less developed nations, they are already doing a better job of conserving sometimes because they do not have a choice- we in developed nations could learn from them in many ways.

Most importantly "learn", as much as you can about how to make a difference.  In the United States we are just starting to take a deep look at overlapping services (listen to this broadcast from  npr).  I believe we can change from a culture of excessive consumption to a world of cooperative consumption.

Look for organizations, groups, stores and other resources that are already doing something.  Most entities are very welcoming and will encourage you to get started.  Not only that, in some instances you will enjoy yourself so much you may not even realize you are doing something climate conscious.

Each of us has a responsibility to the other in response to humanity and ecosystem.  

Thanks!
And let's do something environmental.

No comments:

Post a Comment